Decorating for fall doesn’t have to mean garland and faux pumpkins. A cozy fall entryway or mudroom can be subtle changes that usher in the new season, so walking into your home feels like a big warm hug. Here are five ways you can add the fall feeling to your home’s entryway or mudroom.
- Add texture. Textures should be used all year long for cozy, but textures can change each season. For fall think heavier textures like wool, dark woods, warm metals and colors, lots of natural seasonal items, and a larger variety of textures to amp up the cozy factor. Wreaths, blankets, art, furniture, rugs, pillows, antique pieces, baskets, and pots/vases. I added a gorgeous wreath and I’m in love with it. You do not need to buy new items, think about what you already own and repurpose items for the fall season.
- Smell. The first thing I always notice about our home when I open the door is THE SMELL. Sometimes it’s good and other times it’s not what I love. I mean, we live on a farm, with pets, and a child. It happens. Do you like essential oils, Candles, room diffusers, Potpourri, or simmer pots? Everyone has a different preference. Your favorite fall smell is a great way to tie in cozy décor. My go-to smell is the Fresh Roasted Coffee candle from Antique Candle Co.
- Bring nature inside. The fall season brings amazing outdoor elements. Pumpkins, branches, acorns, leaves, pinecones, gourds, and other nature wonders can be discovered during a fall walk. I love bringing the outdoors in for every season, but there is something about fall that is extra special. If you live somewhere where these things can be found in your yard, it’s free fall décor, and a fun fall activity your kids will enjoy. Bringing in natural elements is the BEST way to set the fall mood. Displaying the outdoor items is also a creative way to bring texture into your home.
- Keep your fall items out. Of course you don’t want your entryway or mudroom to be cluttered, but hanging your favorite fall jacket or flannel is the perfect reminder that fall is here. Drape a wool blanket on a bench or prop your brooms and rakes in a mudroom corner. Not only are these items readily available but they are the beautiful signs of cooler temps and they set the fall mood in your home.
- Add a cozy glow. Fall kicks off the season of the “glow”. Yes, the glow is cozy all year but starting the crisp weather makes us crave it more! What is the glow? A burning candle, a lamp, a wall sconce, a crackling fireplace, or a battery candle in a jack-o-lantern. Adding a cozy glow anywhere in your home instantly gives you the feeling of fall.
I hope these cozy fall entryway and mudroom tips inspire you to bring the fall feeling into your home and is a reminder that you don’t need to buy new pieces. The key to making a decorating your home for the fall season is including the items that make you feel cozy.