It’s been a few months since we announced our excitement over wanting to start the adoption process. I think the “normal thing” to do is to announce that you are going to start the adoption process once you get through the home study. In true fashion of never doing the “normal” thing we announced that we were adopting before we even picked an agency. We did this because we wanted other people who had been through the adoption process to share their wisdom with us so that we could learn from their experiences through every step of our process. In turn we wanted to share all the wisdom given to us about the adoption process & the wisdom that we learned from our own experiences along the way with you guys. We had set up an email account for everyone who wanted to to send an email with their advice for us. Here are a few of the tips that have helped us & that really stood out to us to share with you. Want to help us and others? Add your tips to the comment section here or find us on Instagram to share it. Here are a few of the tips that we hope truly help you…
- Consider Agency’s Philosophy & make sure it matches your beliefs.
- Attend meetings from multiple agencies to make sure your final pick is perfect for you and your family.
- Ask how many placements the agency makes a year.
- Ask how many waiting families the agency has & do they have a capacity set in place.
- Seek counseling during the first stages of adoptions… don’t just wait until after a baby is placed.
- Ask your agency for all the resources you can get to research the type of adoption you are pursuing.
- Read The Connected Child and/or Orphanology
- Find Local Support groups from Facebook
- Choose home study wisely. If completed through an agency, you may not own the home study to be used with other agencies or in private.
- Cost of adoption varies from agency to agency, state to state research this before jumping in.
- Ask people you know the pro’s and con’s of the agency they used & the process they experienced.
- Be sure to have open discussions through the whole adoption process so you are always on the same page.
- ONE FROM US: Do not be scared of the home study process. To us it has been quick and painless… We have always been told how horrible it was, but if you choose the right agency that fits your family & your desire to adopt is as big as ours, it’s not that bad & worth all the work you put into it! I was always scared for the home study & wondered if we would “pass”… Right away our agency said they wanted “real” not “perfect” and it’s true… they want to see where you live and how you live. None of us are perfect & they know that. It’s honestly the least scary/stressful part of the whole thing.. I regret ever being worried about it! Hope that eases some of your worries as well!
We hope to keep sharing all the wonderful tips and information that we keep experiencing and people keep sharing with us. We are not quite done with our home study, but when we get farther in we will share more. We’ve learned a lot so far & get excited more and more with each day we get closer to growing our family through adoption. It’s funny how in life when we go through experiences we become advocates for things we become so passionate about… funny how life does that. Thank you guys so much for being here on our adoption journey with us & for stopping by the blog daily to see what we are up to…. we love you all! xx